Thursday 24 April 2014

Golra Sharif Railway Heritage Museum and Railway Station

I was told by a Pakistani friend (I have so few!) to visit the Golra Sharif Railway Museum. She also lives and works in Liberia. She's an economist and, guess what bother parents are economists. I met the whole family in Monrovia. Her parents were visiting her. Since I've been in Pakistan, I met my friend's parents for lunch. 

So, my friend tells me to visit this museum. It's one of the best recommendations of my life! And, the place was so close to our house, too. 

I can't describe how beautiful the railway station is. Against the backdrop of the Margalla Hills and, the 200-year old bunyan trees which provide a majestic shade over the tracks, and the gas lamps which line the platforms, the station is pretty! 

The museum itself is housed in a couple of Victorian-era stone-building waiting rooms that display all kinds of railway memorabilia. 

I only got there after 4 PM and the museum was closed but the guide was gracious enough to open up the rooms and show me around. He was an excellent guide who patiently explained what each object was. 

One of the contraptions that struck my imagination was a which token instrument. I learned all about it! There's even a whole wikipedia article about it: "Token (railway signalling)." 

The station's claims to fame are a 'rail dabba' gifted by the Maharaja of Jodhpur to his daughter as a wedding gift. There's also a 'rail gari' that was traveled in by the Quaid and Lord Mountbatten. The guide let see them from inside. They were perfectly preserved.  

And, guess what? Apparently there's a train that goes to Taxila from this station. I could hop on and go do some sight seeing there. I haven't been since I was a teenager, years ago and, remember very little! 

A train was pulling in just as I got there




A long view of the main museum, located in a stone building. 


Even my driver got very interested and, asked lots of questions
and, was also baby sitting Kavita! 

Some of the fascinating objets on display, including the token instrument! Can you guess which one it is?







I love these shots of the station. There was another waiting room and, also vintage colonial posters about tea! 










These are the old rail 'dabbas'







Good bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment