Thursday 23 May 2013

My new contact lens case

I got a cool new contact lens case: 




And, it got me thinking about my eye sight and when I first got my pair of glasses. 

So, I've been myopic since I was about 10 years old. When I learned that I would have to wear glasses, I burst into tears and, my father (Aboo) had to comfort me and tell me I wouldn't look so bad and that smart kids wore glasses.  I can clearly remember the moment, it was in the foyer of our mansion-type residence in Bucharest. 

I also remember that my parents blamed the whole fiasco on watching too much TV. 


Well, I don't know how smart I have proved to be in my academic career, but I sure looked like a dork up until I was in my early 20s. 


I mean, look at this:


Bucharest, Romania, 1990s

My parents had no qualms in me wearing glasses that were clearly too big for my face. 

Oh well, Aboo's trademark were always his glasses and, there's several photographs of us together, be-speckacled father and daughter:

Dashing Aboo, a photograph from his bachelor days

Aboo and Farzana, Bucharest, Romania, 1990s

Aboo and Farzana, Islamabad, Summer of 2010
Now a days, I wear contact lenses and it is nice not have glasses on your face but once in a while, when I have finished my supply of contacts, I go back to wearing glasses full time.

They do make you look smart, come to think of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment