Thursday 23 May 2013

I wonder what is in my tiffin today?



I have given up cooking ever since I got back from Chicago. There is just no way I will be able to cook, manage the business and look after a baby. Not unless I was going to exhaust myself.  So, I gave up cooking of the three. 

Before we got the tiffin, we briefly hired a cook who was an expert when it came to desi food. She was in fact trained by Haresh's first cousin's wife. She knew everything from pani puri to biryani to malai koftas to aloo parathas to daal. Unfortunately, she stopped coming to work for about a month or so. We went back to eating take out and, running over our monthly food budget. 

We found out about this tiffin company through an ironic coincidence. We were looking for accommodation for our expatriate Pakistani staff in our next door building. There was a free room available in an apartment but we were told they would not be able to house a Pakistani! So, we did not get the room but an excellent recommendation where to get food. 

The tiffin company was apparently started by a fellow by the name of Owen who used to work with T. Choitrams for years and, was trained to cook desi food, especially some Sindhi specialities. Owen branched off and started his own tiffin business. 

You know how people go around saying that Liberians really aren't cut out to be entrepreneurs? Well, Owen is an exception and proves that theory wrong! Not only is the food good delicious fare to fill you up and, keep you going for the day, but it arrives on time. We get three meals a day delivered at our door step, seven days a week. And on Saturdays, we even get an extra snack on the side like piping hot samosas.  Our breakkie and lunch are delivered at the office and, dinner at our house. 

Bloody organised, I would say. 

The most fun part is guessing, "What is in my tiffin today?"

No comments:

Post a Comment