Thursday 8 September 2022

Politics of fund raising

I collected funds for the 2005 earthquake and am now again collecting money for flood relief in 2022. What are the politics of fund raising? 

I wrote about my how my friend Rebecca Williams and I collected money from international development workers, businesses as well as Liberian public in 2005. My friend strongly believed Liberian peoples also owe something to Pakistanis who came here as part of the peacekeeping mission. I was grateful for her solidarity as well as love for my country. 

This time around, I haven't asked Liberian people directly to make a contribution. The tier of responsibility was first amongst Pakistani community which is earning hard currency and if we got together we could put together a collective fund rather than sending back individual small amounts. We would save on transfer charges. We don't have any established Pakistani business and most are salaried workers so all we could hope for is a humble amount. I am a Pakistani business owner but sadly I haven't crossed over into the millionaire status yet. 

Haresh posted the ask for contribution in the Indian business community but we only received US $ 51. 

The second tier of people I hoped to ask for contributions were expat groups. There are so many Google and WhatsApp groups, specifically created to help each other with information, where to get consumerist goods, how to find a piano teacher, and organise parties. I'm not currently plugged into the UN/NGO sector so I was not able to attract much.

That is it. The common Liberian is trying to make ends meet. Inflation has hit hard here. But I wouldn't target Liberian elite, either. If anything, it is their duty to do more in terms of philanthropy, establish public schools and hospitals, and fill gaps where needed. The only reason I would target them is to institute transactional relationship and, would be created at higher levels. This is when elites and states display their real politicking. 

Individually, we always have the responsibility and duty to contribute to emergencies and, to anyone in need. 

But in terms of the bigger picture, there is a framework of reparations which we can rely on to understand what is actually needed. The Global South does not need aid or assistance but reparations. 

Climate emergency has hit me so hard. The wildfires in California and Australia, the drought in Cape Town (for years we have heard they are water rationing there), the drought in Western United States, the extreme rains and flooding in Germany last year and in China and India this year, etc have been witnessed online and in TV media but it hasn't hit me personally. I can relate to the idea of Climate Reparations much more clearly and conceptually now. And, in fact, there is even a colonial legacy to it when we read about river management set up by the British Raj. So, all put together, it is time to talk about Climate Reparations. 

Individually, we can do our bit by adding to the relief effort. But largely, systematically, we need to demand Climate Reparations. We don't need pittance. 

Are we going to be collecting funds forever ? What is the Global North's and our states' responsibilities?  

And, what happens after relief? What development and reconstruction do we demand from the state, whether or not the colonisers give us reparations? 

No comments:

Post a Comment