Friday 30 September 2022

Pace of writing

The pace of critical writing that I like to do is too slow. I'm in my early 40s and, I would say I started unraveling my conditioning in my mid 30s and, my desire to write about my reactions to reality has only doubled. 

However, my pace is slow and I have depleted energy. Why? Things just get in the way, my household and caring duties. This makes me slightly angry and frustrated with myself. Why can't I find the energy and focus to find the time? 

I watch a lot of news and these days, am watching more and more of analysis and commentary from left-wing and progressive YouTube channels such as: 

BreakThrough News

Novara Media

Democracy Now!

newslaundry

I also watch a lot of The Print to get analysis with Shekar Gupta. There are other senior analysts/editors too in this channel like Jyoti Malhotra and Praveen Swami. This isn't strictly a leftist media channel. It is independent. 

newslaundry too is an Indian channel and, I love its witty and very funny take. 

We don't seem to have a good independent leftist in Pakistan. We have a massive progressive and leftist footprint on Twitter and Facebook but I don't now of a dedicated channel. 

There is ProperGaanda but they aren't as prolific and consistent in their output as the other outlets that are listed here. 

Same for Africa. 

At the time of the Queen's death and assertion of Empire that followed, we were told again and again about the Queen's life of service. Amongst the many reactions I had, I thought about what service actually meant. I thought about a lifetime of sticking up for the truth every day. I thought about Amy Goodman from Democracy Now! and, that she has been doing this for 25 years! 

I would love to be part of an endeavour like this, perhaps a feminist news channel, or a progressive news channel that focuses on Africa. A feminist news channel would of feminist activism, feminist analysis. As for Africa, I feel we don't have enough analysis on events on the continent. Most often, we only get a passing mention of a coup, of an ambush by a rebel group, or starvation and misery, and so on. What's the larger geopolitical picture? We never seem to get it or there isn't enough of it. 

I pay attention to conversations a lot more and, try to sift through bias, conditioning, and ignorance. 

My pace of writing about my reactions is too slow and, rest of my duties and moods come in the way. What to do about it? 

My last thought for this ramble of thoughts: the social media format to write short but dense reactions to anything and everything is in itself not bad. I've been on Facebook since 2007 and, actively on Twitter since a few years now. I'm constantly poised on my keyboard to write a scathing attack at whatever has riled me up, makes me angry or a more thoughtful measured response to an issue. I admit, I think about writing a concise reaction that can make an impact, rather than a long rant. But that often inspires longer notes on my blog. Social media formats for writing are good exercise in terms of making a concise but compelling point! 

No comments:

Post a Comment