Monday 14 December 2020

Nighttime stroll , American almonds, and trade imbalances

There is something about nighttime strolls too. Especially in the winter. You are mostly likely shivering in the beginning but a brisk walk can warm you up and, let you enjoy the cold night. 


Kavita, though, got tired from the brisk walk on the way back. She had to take 2 breaks , sitting on the sidewalk. 


We walked to F-11 Markaz to get some stuff. 


At the Supermarket, the dry fruit section had American plus local almonds. Which got me quite incensed.  I went to Balochistan Dry Fruits and, asked for almonds and the fellow asked me the same as the supermarket shelf was asking me: “local” or “American.” I got incensed again and, entered a long discussion. When they ask whether I want ‘imported produce’ I come up with the same retort. Or two. 

“Why would I want American almonds?” 

“Are we not in Pakistan?” 


The irony is I wanted almonds, kali kishmish and kaju for a Lebanese rice dish. 


The 'high end' supermarkets really exemplify our trade imbalances and, complexes so well. They are stocked with every imported product you could think of: jam, cereal, dishwashing liquid, coffee, tea bags, scented candles, cooking oil, you name it. Why buy a 60 rupee Mitchells jam when you can buy an imported one and feel grand? 


End of rant. Good night. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment