Sunday 23 September 2018

A Kabuli Pilao Dinner Party

Carrots flying everywhere! 

I subjected myself to a gruelling day in the kitchen preparing for a dinner party we had decided to host one fine Saturday evening. Luckily I had a few minions plus one housekeeper to help me: Haresh, Kavita, Angie and Minh. 

The night before we met a charming Vietnamese-British, Minh, world traveler by chance after our long evening walk at Mama Susu's. We befriended each other and, offered him to come and stay at our place. 

Minh, Haresh and Kavita went off to buy all the ingredients Saturday morning on Benson Street. For the menu of Kabuli Pilao, Aloo Kebab, Salad, and Gajjar Halwa, we needed mutton and several pounds of carrots. 

I found an easy-to-follow Kabuli Pilao recipe on YouTube (see here). I instructed Haresh to carefully watch the video and, then start cooking. Minh offered to help in the kitchen, too, and, I put Kavita and him in charge of grating all the carrots. 

I put Angie in charge of chopping all the other produce. 

Like a beautiful orchestra, I conducted the whole symphony. Like a head chef, I supervised all the other stations and, ensured everything was going according to plan. 

At one point, Haresh and I had difference of opinion. He put in the boiling hot water from the tea kettle while he was cooking and I admonished him against it. If the recipe doesn't call for hot water, use normal water. 

Miraculously, Haresh's attempt at Kabuli Pilao was going well, and, we decided that we would only put the pilao on dum half an hour before the dinner would be served. I told Haresh he could go and relax in the living room. (Just like babies who should take a nap in the day so they don't become so cranky, Haresh also follows this routine) Kavita and him took 2-hour naps while I finished up the rest of the menu. 

Minh had gone off to say good bye to Mama Susu as he was catching a flight to Lagos the next day as per his plans. Haresh was napping. 

I had put the Gajjar Halwa on the pot and, it was cooking and, the aroma of carrots, cardamoms, cinnamon and brown sugar had filled up the whole apartment. Suddenly, Haresh rushed into the kitchen, in shock and panic. He said, he needs a few carrots for the garnish. The recipe required 1 pound of caramelised carrots. Haresh was in a terrible panic and, said, he needed more carrots. "Weren't there any left?" he shrieked! I laughed to myself and, pointed to the top of the fridge. He started rummaging there. Then I pointed to the kitchen table and, his eyes popped out looking for them. I continued this for a few moments until I said, don't worry, there are still some here in this basket by the sink. Haresh heaved a sigh of relief and, started caramelising the carrots. 

By 6 'o clock, we were done with all our cooking, leaving us one hour to relax and change our clothes. Angie cleaned the kitchen and, helped to set the table. 

We received our guests at 7 PM. Haresh put the pilao on dum and, by 7:30 we were able to announce dinner. 

The food was a roaring success. All the guests were all praise for the Kabuli Pilao. Minh actually said that this was his best ever Pilao he had had in his entire life! That was a great compliment coming from someone who has travelled 54 countries and counting.

The party went on till 3 AM. What a wonderful evening. Thanks to Haresh for making this such a memorable success. He always comes to my rescue. I am so lucky to have him as my life partner.

I love his big tummy. 

See all the pictures below. The very last one was taken by Minh. 



























No comments:

Post a Comment