Sunday 25 November 2012

Art Institute of Chicago

I purchased a Chicago City Pass and, yesterday, visited the Art Institute of Chicago. I absolutely loved it.

I was constantly asking myself, what kind of art do I like? What's my favourite piece? Do I want something to blow my mind or do I want to see something very beautiful? But what is the notion of beauty? Do I think art is meant to inform, educate, or provoke? Is it meant to be universal and stand the test of time or, is a pile candy in a corner art, too? Can a weird sculpture be considered art? And how much should art be worth? 

An art museum is really a motivating space that forces one to think about art, expression, mediums, techniques, and ideas. Modern art especially gets the most extreme reactions: from "My kid could draw that" to "This blob is a piece of genius." Modern art and its new mediums are stretching the very notions of what is art. 

had a great time moving through the various galleries: Early American Folk Art, the Impressionists, Surrealism, early modern European Art, American Modern Art, Architecture and so on. 

I didn't really like Steve McQueen's film clips. I can't tell you how much I didn't like them. 

And I really cracked up when I saw the "Treasures from the British Museum" for the Gods and Glamour exhibition. "Treasures?" More like looted treasures. Doesn't it remind you that museum can be such controversial spaces, too?




































































No comments:

Post a Comment