Friday 24 September 2021

At the darzi.

It is such a pleasure to get things stitched at the darzi again. I haven't been to a darzi in years now because our family darzi lied, delayed , destroyed and, just took the whole thrill out of clothes. I randomly found an amazing darzi in our nearby F-11 Markaz. Not only did he agree to stitch mine but Kavita's clothes too. He is so professional and true to his word. 

It has been a very pleasant experience. This part of F-11 Markaz has dozens of tailoring shops, lace shops, cloth shops, pico centres, you name it. 

Since I started working and earning my own money, I spent money on ready-made suits at Generation. That was my go-to place and, I always splurged there. I don't need to gush about Generation here and how funky, modern and beautiful their designs are. 

And, now that fast fashion has arrived in Pakistan, it almost seemed pointless to me to have to do endure the hassle of a darzi

Unfortunately fast fashion has also brought in ugly ugly digital prints. I don't know how and why ugly digital prints are everywhere. They are ugly. Garish. 

Going back to a darzi has totally slowed down the shopping experience. From finding the cloth to matching lace and buttons, to thinking about a cut and design, to go back and forth to a tailor is a slow deliberate process that makes you appreciate what tailoring actually is. 

I guess a part of me is always finding my old sense of Pakistan everywhere. I do love the bazaar and individual non-branded shops. 

Getting something made by a tailor is such a drastically different experience than buying a kurta from Khaadi. It's a slower and more inter-personal process, let alone 30 minute shopping trip. 




Of course I made a video. See here


No comments:

Post a Comment