Monday 22 January 2018

Inauguration Day ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡ท

So, I didn't get invited to the Inauguration and nor did I make any concerted efforts to find a way to attend this most important day. Never mind, we watched it live on watchkwese.com. In fact, we have Internet on our TV so we could comfortably watch it sitting on our sofa. One could also watch it live on KMTV.

Afterwards, we drove towards the Stadium to see how far we could get in the anticipated traffic. We got as far as the CDC Headquarters. There was a jubilant crowd and, I decided to enjoy the atmosphere.

The CDC Party Headquarter grounds were full of people, decorated with streamers, and the from the stage, soft drinks were being thrown to a crowd.

Everyone was smiling at me (folks must have thought I was a journalist - again). I made a video. You can see it here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5FmkPzRNOA.

The excitement and joy in that crowd was contagious of course. Are the people happy that someone is finally going to stand for them? Do they really love their new leader? In that hot sun, they were there, singing, shouting, and, cheering on the cars coming back from the Stadium.

And there I was taking photos and making videos. I didn't feel uncomfortable or stared at. Everyone was only too happy to pose and smile for me.

Liberian women experience sexual violence and, live in a society that is dominated by men. Still, it is striking to see that women are in the so-called 'public spaces' and, can dance and cheer alongside men in crowds. This is not common in Pakistan.




































No comments:

Post a Comment