Sunday 21 January 2018

1 day until Inauguration ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡ท

We passed by the Executive Mansion this afternoon on the way to Libassa Ecolodge and spotted a big Liberia flag draped over the Executive Mansion. The Inauguration of George Weah as Liberia's 24th President is tomorrow!



We stopped at the CDC Headquarters for a few moments.  Memorabilia marking the victory of George Weah and Jewel Taylor were for sale. There were T-shirts, caps, calendars, and pins. I bought a few souvenirs. They cost a couple hundred LD.

Folks asked me to take their photos, thinking I am a journalist but I said I was just a resident in Monrovia. The first person told me he was very happy with George Weah's victory and that Liberia would have reconciliation finally. The next person I met also asked me to take his photograph. He looked so happy and said "I am champion. My party is now the ruling party!"

What a moment of celebration, sense of achievement, pride, hope and respect and awe it is for partisans of a political party. For a moment at the time of elections, it is the public which has the power and they elect leaders and endow them with it! 

Now that inauguration is finally upon us and, we will witness the historic and peaceful transfer of power, I felt a little nostalgic for Sirleaf's era. After all, I've spent my formidable years here, all under her Presidency. For good or bad, Ellen Johnson Sirleaf has defined Liberia's postwar era and, brought this oldest African republic much fame and goodwill. For a moment, one almost feels blue and starts to miss her already. Who will we critique now - Ellen Johnson Sirleaf hailed and anointed by the "international community"? To top it, it's really unfortunate that after all said and done, she has been ousted by her own party.








1 comment:

  1. It's funny how you're still a sentimental person at heart. I've lost that in my middle age...

    ReplyDelete