Monday 20 February 2012

Fashion Show in Monrovia

We all like to try out new experiences; however, unfortunately, it does not work out all the time. I decided to attend a fashion show right here in Monrovia even though these kind of events never appeal to me. But I thought, "let's try it, what the heck." What's more I purchased 2 VIP tickets (for $ 50/head) and even a general seating one for one of my staff members. 

Haresh and I excitedly got dressed for the show. We both wore traditional South Asian suits and felt great. Haresh even wore his Sindhi cap! I wore my new suit which is made out of a silk sari.

The show started 3 hours late and hardly any tickets were sold. As you can see in the pictures below, more than half the seats are empty and most of the people sitting on those chairs look like the staff of hotel where it was hosted (Golden Gate, near the SKD complex). We ended up spending more bucks at the restaurant on drinks and snacks out of boredom. 

The show was really lousy. The microphones were not working. The music was bad. There were a couple of musicians who lip synced to their own really lousy songs. It was really b-a-d and amateurish. There was a stand up comedian and about half of his jokes were funny. The host of the show was quite entertaining and I guess made up for the disastrous event. 

It was a lousy event simply because it started so late, was anti-climatic and really boring. There was a general air of frustration. I could not believe I had dished out $ 100 and had been so excited about attending it.

The fashion show itself show cased 2-3 designers and some of the clothes were quite eye-catching but none of it was mind-blowing. The make up was kind of cool. 

There were some gorgeous models and I must add that they really knew how to strut, pout and work the stuff.

The main designer was Fanta Marazetti, a model turned designer, who definitely seems like a promising designer. Unfortunately, this show was a disaster. 

Apparently, there was a really amazing fashion show held in Monrovia last year. Therefore, I guess I was unlucky. 

I still look forward to more social events in the city and hope each one will be better than the last. 

Most of the guests there seemed to really enjoy the show, and I am guessing most of them are the Liberian 'returnees' from the diaspora. For them, this must be very encouraging and exciting. It's only 'foreigners' like me who must be sulking and comparing these events to those back home for their lack of organisation. 

I did enjoy taking pics and tweaking them afterwards. Here they are:





I think this is the only fountain in Monrovia?

Taken by a "professional" photographer who had come to cover the event


It looks like Haresh is pouting, too.












1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear Fuzz, but I must say some of the dresses look great. Love the long gowns. Next time we should show case Feeduki there ; )

    I agree that one has to attend such events to encourage them, sometimes at the cost of paid boredom!

    ReplyDelete