Sunday 27 November 2011

Joseph Dennis, Faithful Servant and Friend, Passed Away








I learned today that Joseph Dennis, my faithful servant and friend of 8 years, passed away today. I hate to use the word servant but the fact is he was my servant who has taken care of my house and office for as long as I have been in Liberia. It is not politically correct to use the word servant but the fact is that given the socio-economic divide between him and I, and the fact that he was not performing skilled work for me but average household/janitorial work, he was a servant. But I considered him more than just a servant and a long-time friend to whom I was grateful for his unwavering loyalty and friendship. The fact is, he has stood by my side through practically everything I have been through while I have been in this country.

I just came back from Joe's house in West Point. I have visited West Point when I was working with the UNDP a few times to check out some projects and knew it was a slum and have seen and smelled its narrow alleys, crowdedness, poverty and filth. But I had never visited Joe's home so it was a very overwhelming experience.

It was quite dark and Joe's friend guided us through the dark with a torch light. We entered a doorway and saw many people gathered and his wife crying very loudly, beating her hands on the floor. I asked to see her separately and we went into their one-room house which was lit with a bright bulb. Patience (NATC staff) and I sat down and the wife sat on the floor. His three little girls (his older son was not around), neighbours, wife's brothers were there. I just sat in shock looking at the poor little room. The walls were covered with newspapers and posters and some frames. A huge bed was the main attraction with suitcases and a couple of TVs and clothes here and there. I recognised things from my various homes, picture frames, old perfume bottles, DVDs, old suit cases...My discarded life decorated his one-room house.

So we just sat there and we talked about what happened. It was such a surreal experience. I was in shock and speaking practically and in a robotic voice. I tried to convey to them how much he meant to be me and what a kind and honest man their husband, brother, neighbour and friend was.

It seems like it was definitely a stroke or a heart attack because he just collapsed Saturday morning. He was fine and was even dressed to go to work. His neighbour told me that Joe had in fact woken him that morning. The next thing then knew he had collapsed and was almost in a coma. From then onwards, Jonathan (NATC staff member) rushed to their house and took him to Mercy Clinic first and then JFK. Patience visited Joe twice on Saturday. He was moving his limbs, apparently struggling against the doctors when they were examining him. When they went to visit him today, they were told he had died and to come back tomorrow to identify the body. 

I do not know what kind of care he got at JFK and, whether he could have been saved if it were a hospital in a country with better facilities. 

And that's it. Joseph Dennis is no more. I am consumed with grief. I cannot even explain you how sad I am. He's been my faithful and loyal servant and friend for 8 years. He knows all my habits, my mannerisms and my moods. I have confided many a problem to him. He was never sick, never late, never anything. I could always rely on him, on any day. He was always smiling. He was there with me through the ordeal of Wesley's death and by my side all along. He even went to the court to testify against the Chinese criminals. I know it is selfish but I cannot even imagine a daily routine without Joe. I am so sorry I never did anything substantial for him. I felt so bad sitting in his one-room house in that slum.

May Joe's soul rest in peace. I wish I had done more for him all the time I knew him but what is the use of regrets now? I wish tomorrow does not come so I do not have to face the reality that he is gone and that he will not be amongst us, around us, bring me my coffee and being the glue that he was between all of us. I feel sad he will never see our new office that we are so excited about. I feel sad he will not enjoy the successes our growing company is going to achieve. And I feel sad thinking about his children who are now without a father and his wife who is now without a husband.

Life is unfair and random and even more so for those who live in poverty.

My dear Joe, I hope you rest forever in peace and please know that I will remember and cherish your memories and friendship.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to read about this sad news. My deepest condolences.
    You know what where...

    ReplyDelete
  2. very sad indeed farzana. from the little i knew him, he did seem very much as you describe him.your words are very 'touching' (ie touching me). my thoughts with you, and his family of course.lots of love - alice

    ReplyDelete