Monday 4 September 2023

Ideology-free politics

Looks like electioneering is in full swing. There were "corner meetings" opposite each other on Carey Street. 

Unity Party is calling itself the Rescue Team implying the current regime is a disaster. 

Politics in Liberia is completely ideology and idea free. And, is it really democracy? When nothing really works and there is so much "negative peace?" 

I was watching Ashir Azeem on TCM (Does Pakistan's Constitution Need to Be Changed?) and his statement that jamhoor (democracy) is meaningless if people can't even eat was a good reminder. At this time when Liberia is going into its third post war elections, its clear this system isn’t really developing the country, let alone eradicating poverty and hunger. 

I asked my housekeeper Catherine who she was going to vote for and, she said she wasn’t going to stand in the sun for someone who wouldn’t do anything for her. 

Where is the structured and organised critique in Liberia ? Non existent. 

Also saw a contortionist and a magician. I gave both of them money but then a guy started begging me with the usual "I'm hungry." I brushed him off but he kept following me. I went to a money changer close to Diana Hotel. He came over and said " You did well for me." I burst into anger. 

I also popped into a shop to buy a phone charger. The shopkeeper is from Nigeria. I asked him why he came to Liberia and he said he can earn US Dollars here and, to teach Liberians how to do business. I asked him how he gets his goods and he said there's a charter flight that comes in every week! 

See our pix:







No comments:

Post a Comment