Thursday 24 March 2016

Rosy golden evening

Instead of running laps on the hill, Kavita and I made a detour and climbed on top of some rocks in a community to get a view of the ocean. An old man offered to take us up so I could take some photographs. The houses are built on top of rocks, side by side. We went into a house, walked down a dark corridor. People peered from inside to see what the commotion was. I think the rooms are rented individually. We reached the end of the corridor, climbed over a tall step onto the back porch, canopied by rusting zinc sheets covering the roof, over hanging from the roof along with clotheslines. There were some winding concrete steps to climb leading up to a higher rock. I steadily followed some children running up the stairs and one of older girls offered to scoop up Kavita in her arms. 

It was exhilarating to reach the 10-second summit of this rock. My vertigo is getting worse over the years but I focused myself and enjoyed the view of the ocean and the American Embassy at the other end. The sky was full of bats, dotting the sunset which grew rosier and more golden with every passing minute. 

I wondered if any American spies could spot me taking a photo of their precious Embassy but really, I was only taking photographs of the trees, the bats and the red and white umbrellas. I wondered if they would arrest me, drug me and I would wake up in Guantanamo Bay. 

After I snapped dozens of photographs to my heart's content, we carefully walked down the stairs, into the corridor, and came out to the front facade of the building. We walked on the rocky front and then climbed down again onto the street level. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment