Tuesday 31 December 2019

An unwanted year

I had never thought I would have spent almost a whole year in Pakistan in 2019, a year given to me with a heavy side dish of irony. If Kavita hadn't been diagnosed with an auto-immune disorder, I would not be here, writing these few lines, contemplating a year of unexpected turns, tests and trials.

I have had a strong desire to come and spend some time in Pakistan at a stretch after being away since 2003. After hooking up with Haresh (an Indian national), the possibility of coming back to Pakistan together as a family has seemed impossible. Many times he has said, I should give up my nationality and move to India, which is what seems necessary for either of us, if we want to all live together in South Asia, border ke iss ya uss paar.

Wanting something may get you what you want but at what cost, I think, horrified? Life throws you a painful twist. I got the year in Pakistan but much of it was spent trying to be tough for Kavita who until now has been a perfect child, in health, spirits and heart. What was it I wanted? Getting some work experience, creating a social life, getting to know things better in the motherland? Instead, I really got to know the hospitals, doctor - patient relationships, labs and,

Just the other day, I introduced myself as:

 "Lived in Liberia, West Africa for 15-16 years and, worked with WFP, UNDP and also run an IT company. I am the mother of Kavita and, have found myself unexpectedly here in Pakistan for the better part of this year. "

That's the best way to explain my current situation, I guess.

But how do I look at this year? Is it all bad? Should I see it only in bad light? Maybe this year is like a prism. If I move it around in my hand, feel its weight, and, move it a little to let it catch and reflect some light , it looks beautiful. Perhaps it is like an ordinary object that you feel with your fingers, turn it over in your hands to get a good look at and then decide it is not so ugly or rough.




No comments:

Post a Comment